WHY CHOOSE SLOW-RELEASE INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION (SR-IUI)?
- Increased pregnancy rate – Clinical trials have shown slow-release insemination, more than doubles the chance of pregnancy compared to standard IUI (for women under 35 years of age)
- Cost-effective – a fraction of the cost of an IVF cycle
- Reduced risk of lost sperm discharging into the pelvic cavity
- Less invasive compared to more complex procedures such as IVF
- Reduced risk of polyspermia and immunological reactions
HOW DOES SR-IUI INCREASE CHANCES OF INSEMINATION?
- Increased duration of potential contact between sperm and egg
- Decreased risk of sperm flowing back into the vagina
- Decreased risk of sperm discharging into the abdomen via fallopian tubes
- Avoids risk of possible polyspermia (when the ovum has been fertilized by more than one sperm, which leads to a non-viable zygote). This may occur because of stronger sperm competition with bolus IUI as the sperm are too efficient at reaching and fertilizing the ovum.
- Avoids risk of triggering an immune reaction
WHO IS SUITED FOR SR-IUI?
Trillium may be recommended to women as a first-line fertility treatment if one or more of the following apply:
- Unexplained infertility
- Partner has mild male sub-fertility
- Endometriosis (grade 1 or 2) with intact fallopian tubes
- Cervical mucus problem
- Partner has anti-sperm antibodies
- Ejaculation not possible due to impotence or vaginismus
- Retrograde ejaculation (where the semen travel backward in the bladder)
For more information on TRILLIUM SR-IUI please contact our partner Hannah Life Technologies